Huntingtown, Maryland is a small town located in the northern part of Calvert County. It has a population of 7,000 people, with a diverse racial and ethnic makeup. The geography of Huntingtown is mostly rural and wooded, with rolling hills and forests providing a beautiful natural backdrop. The climate is mild and humid, with hot summers and cold winters.
The town has a rich history that dates back to the 1700s when it was first settled by English colonists. Huntingtown was an important port for trading goods between England and the colonies. During the Civil War, it served as an important supply base for Union troops. In recent years, Huntingtown has become known for its vibrant art scene and its proximity to Washington D.C., Baltimore, and Annapolis.
Politics in Huntingtown lean toward conservative values with most residents voting Republican during elections at both local and national levels. The economy of the area centers around agriculture but also includes many small businesses such as restaurants, shops, and service providers that cater to tourists visiting from nearby cities.
Huntingtown is served by Calvert County Public Schools which provides quality education for students from pre-K through 12th grade. The school district also offers several vocational programs designed to prepare students for college or other post-secondary training opportunities after graduation.
The area around Huntingtown features many significant landmarks including Flag Ponds Nature Park which offers visitors outdoor recreational activities such as fishing, swimming, canoeing, kayaking, hiking trails and more; Battle Creek Cypress Swamp Sanctuary which is home to endangered species of birds; Calvert Cliffs State Park which features fossilized shark teeth dating back millions of years; Chesapeake Beach Railway Museum which houses historic railroad artifacts; as well as historic churches built in the 1800s such as St Paul’s Episcopal Church located in Prince Frederick.
Males: 1,201 (49.3%), Females: 1,235 (50.7%)
Zip code: 20639
Median resident age: 36.5 years
Median household income: $81,672
Median house value: $242,300
Races in Huntingtown:
- White Non-Hispanic (79.2%)
- Black (17.0%)
- Two or more races (1.6%)
- American Indian (0.9%)
- Hispanic (0.9%)
Ancestries: German (20.7%), Irish (15.8%), English (14.2%), Italian (7.9%), United States (6.7%), Polish (1.8%).
Elevation: 135 feet
Land area: 8.2 square miles
Huntingtown is a town located in Calvert County, Maryland. It has a population of approximately 7,000 people and is growing steadily. The median household income is $111,000 and the median home value is $397,000. The cost of living in Huntingtown is higher than the national average due to its close proximity to Washington D.C., which drives up prices for goods and services. However, it still remains an affordable option for those who want to live close to the city without having to pay city prices. The unemployment rate in Huntingtown is relatively low compared to other areas in Maryland and the crime rate remains low as well. Residents benefit from a large selection of recreational activities, shopping centers, schools and healthcare facilities located nearby. The town also offers excellent public transportation options, with several bus routes connecting residents with nearby towns and cities such as Annapolis and D.C.. Overall, Huntingtown provides an affordable option for those looking for a safe community with access to urban amenities.
For population 25 years and over in Huntingtown
- High school or higher: 91.3%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 28.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 12.7%
- Unemployed: 4.5%
- Mean travel time to work: 41.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Huntingtown CDP
- Never married: 22.5%
- Now married: 68.0%
- Separated: 1.6%
- Widowed: 3.9%
- Divorced: 4.1%
2.6% Foreign born (1.4% Asia, 0.8% Latin America, 0.5% Europe).
Hospitals/medical centers near Huntingtown:
- CALVERT MEMORIAL HOSP (about 6 miles; PRINCE FREDERICK, MD)
- SOUTHERN MARYLAND HOSP (about 22 miles; CLINTON, MD)
- ST MARYS HOSPITAL (about 24 miles; LEONARDTOWN, MD)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Huntingtown:
- ANDREWS AFB (about 22 miles; CAMP SPRINGS, MD; Abbreviation: ADW)
- RONALD REAGAN WASHINGTON NATIONAL (about 34 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; Abbreviation: DCA)
- BALTIMORE-WASHINGTON INTL (about 39 miles; BALTIMORE, MD; Abbreviation: BWI)
Other public-use airports nearest to Huntingtown:
- SOUTH RIVER (about 22 miles; EDGEWATER, MD; Abbreviation: 00B)
- LEE (about 23 miles; ANNAPOLIS, MD; Abbreviation: ANP)
- CAPT WALTER FRANCIS DUKE RGNL AT ST MARY’S (about 23 miles; LEONARDTOWN, MD; Abbreviation: 2W6)
Colleges and Universities
Note: See jibin123 for a list of Maryland graduate schools.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Huntingtown:
- PRINCE GEORGES COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 24 miles; LARGO, MD; Full-time enrollment: 5,764)
- UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND-COLLEGE PARK (about 24 miles; COLLEGE PARK, MD; Full-time enrollment: 29,298)
- COLLEGE OF SOUTHERN MARYLAND (about 26 miles; LA PLATA, MD; Full-time enrollment: 3,439)
- BOWIE STATE UNIVERSITY (about 27 miles; BOWIE, MD; Full-time enrollment: 3,323)
- UNITED STATES NAVAL ACADEMY (about 28 miles; ANNAPOLIS, MD; Full-time enrollment: 4,172)
- ANNE ARUNDEL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 31 miles; ARNOLD, MD; Full-time enrollment: 6,467)
- GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY (about 34 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; Full-time enrollment: 11,674)
Private high school in Huntingtown:
- THE CALVERTON SCHOOL (Students: 347; Location: 300 CALVERTON SCHOOL RD; Grades: PK – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Huntingtown:
- PLUM POINT MIDDLE (Students: 837; Location: 1475 PLUM POINT RD; Grades: 06 – 08)
- PLUM POINT ELEMENTARY (Students: 773; Location: 1245 PLUM POINT RD; Grades: KG – 05)
- HUNTINGTOWN ELEMENTARY (Students: 723; Location: 4345 HUNTINGTOWN RD; Grades: PK – 05)
Private primary/middle schools in Huntingtown:
- CHESAPEAKE MONTESSORI CENTER (Students: 54; Location: 4190 HUNTING CREEK RD; Grades: PK – 3)
- TIDEWATER SCHOOL THE (Students: 53; Location: 120 COX RD P O BOX 755; Grades: PK – 4)