Continent is a large portion of land surrounded by the ocean (s). Millions of years ago there was only one continent – Pangea. Over the years the portions of land (tectonic plates) have been separating.
View Articles by Continent
From the division of this terrestrial space come the six continents of the world: America, Europe, Africa, Asia, Oceania and Antarctica (or Antarctica).
To learn more about the formation of the continents, read also the articles: Continental Drift and Pangea.
America, in turn, is divided into three: North America, Central America and South America, which are thus called sub-continents.
The extent of Asia is so vast that almost a third of the planet’s land extent is part of that continent that contains 11 time zones.
Asia also stands out in terms of population, where the inhabitants represent almost 50% of the world’s population.
Interestingly, the country with the smallest number of inhabitants in the world is located in Asia. This is Mongolia.
List of all countries in Asia:
In America the North is located the world’s largest island – Greenland, as well as the second largest country in the world – Canada.
In Central America, the Mayan civilization originated – an incredible society that stood out for the advances shown in art, architecture, mathematics, as well as medicine.
In America of the South, in turn, is located in the Amazon Forest, the region with the highest bio diversity of the world.
Africa is the poorest continent in the world. There are six African Portuguese Speaking Countries (PALOP): Angola, Cape Verde, Guinea-Bissau, Equatorial Guinea, Mozambique, São Tomé and Príncipe.
List of all countries in Africa:
Antarctica, or South Pole, is the coldest and driest place on the planet.
Note that the North Pole is not a continent since there is no land portion; it is all covered with ice, while in the South Pole the ice layer corresponds to 90% of its territory.
The fact that it has no countries, as well as the lack of population, means that Antarctica is not considered a continent for some authors.
Europe is the cradle of our culture. On this continent, the European Union (EU) is the largest global economic bloc, of which only 28 European countries (out of a total of 50 countries) are part.
List of all countries in Europe:
According to Countryaah, Australia is the largest country in Oceania, occupying 90% of its entire length. Oceania is known as the “New World”, given its discovery dating from 1770.
List of all countries in Oceania:
There are countries that are located on two continents and that is why they are called “Transcontinental Nations”. This is the case, for example, in Russia (Asia and Europe), Turkey (Asia and Europe), Egypt (Africa and Asia).
There is also a city called the continental bi – Istanbul, Turkey. It is the only city in the world divided between two continents (Asia and Europe).
There are no flags that represent each of the continents. Yes, there is an emblem on which five continents are represented.
These are the Olympic rings, which symbolize the union in sport on the African, American, Asian, European and oceanic continents.
|1st||Asia||45 million km|
|2nd||America||42 million km (North America – 23 million km; Central America – 523 thousand km; South America – 18 million km)|
|3rd||Africa||30 million km|
|4th||Antarctica||14 million km (this number increases about twice in winter, given the freezing waters)|
|5th||Europe||10 million km|
|6th||Oceania||8 million km|
Most Populated Continents
|1st||Asia||4 billion inhabitants|
|2nd||Africa||1.2 billion inhabitants|
|3rd||America||1 billion inhabitants|
|4th||Europe||800 million inhabitants|
|5th||Oceania||32 million inhabitants|
Most Populated Countries and Their Respect Capitals
According to Watchtutorials, Asia has a total of 50 countries, of which the 10 most populous are:
America has a total of 36 countries. Let’s look at the division by the subcontinents:
The North America has four countries:
The Central America has 20 countries, of which the five most populous are:
The South America has 12 countries, of which the five most populous are:
Africa has a total of 54 countries, of which the 10 most populous are:
|Democratic Republic of Congo||Kinshasa||67,510,000|
|South Africa||Pretoria (Executive), Bloemfontein (Judiciary), Cape Town (Legislative)||52,980,000|
Europe has a total of 50 countries, of which the 10 most populous are:
Oceania has a total of 14 countries and more than 10,000 islands. The 5 most populous countries are:
|Papua New Guinea||Port Moresby||7,321,000|
There are no countries in Antarctica. This continent is a World Heritage Site and signatories to the Antarctic Treaty have the right to conduct investigations there.
There are 12 initial countries, a number that has been extended and includes the following nations:
|Bulgaria||United States||New Zealand||Sweden|
Oceans Bathing the Continents
Here are the oceans that bathe each continent:
|Asia||Arctic, Pacific and Indian Glacier|
|America||Pacific, Arctic and Atlantic Glacier|
|Africa||Atlantic and Indian|
|Antarctica||Pacific, Atlantic and Indian|
|Oceania||Pacific and Indian|
Weather in the U.S. by County and State
- Coffee County, Alabama
- Sitka Borough, Alaska
- Apache County, Arizona
- Craighead County, Arkansas
- Kings County, California
- Delta County, Colorado
- Windham County, Connecticut
- Kent County, Delaware
- Escambia County, Florida
- Bulloch County, Georgia
- Hawaii County, Hawaii
- Cassia County, Idaho
- Cook County, Illinois
- Decatur County, Indiana
- Cedar County, Iowa
- Coffey County, Kansas
- Butler County, Kentucky
- DeSoto Parish, Louisiana
- York County, Maine
- Prince George’s County, Maryland
- Berkshire County, Massachusetts
- Cheboygan County, Michigan
- Cook County, Minnesota
- Covington County, Mississippi
- Cape Girardeau County, Missouri
- Gallatin County, Montana
- Cherry County, Nebraska
- White Pine County, Nevada
- Hillsborough County, New Hampshire
- Passaic County, New Jersey
- Los Alamos County, New Mexico
- Essex County, New York
- Carteret County, North Carolina
- Foster County, North Dakota
- Coshocton County, Ohio
- Comanche County, Oklahoma
- Jefferson County, Oregon
- Clarion County, Pennsylvania
- Bristol County, Rhode Island
- Darlington County, South Carolina
- Custer County, South Dakota
- Coffee County, Tennessee
- Blanco County, Texas
- Piute County, Utah
- Bennington County, Vermont
- Campbell County, Virginia
- Jefferson County, Washington
- Hardy County, West Virginia
- Douglas County, Wisconsin
- Platte County, Wyoming
- Kentucky Road Network December 1, 2023 - Kentucky's road network is a critical component of the state's transportation infrastructure, connecting urban and rural areas, fostering economic development, and facilitating the movement of people and goods. The state's diverse landscapes, from the Appalachian… Continue Reading
- Kentucky Population 2018 November 24, 2023 - Kentucky, located in the southeastern region of the United States, is a state known for its rich history, diverse landscapes, and unique culture. In 2018, the state had a population of approximately 4.46 million people,… Continue Reading
- Kentucky Population 2019 November 17, 2023 - Kentucky, situated in the southeastern region of the United States, is a state with a rich cultural heritage, scenic landscapes, and a diverse economy. In 2019, Kentucky had an estimated population of around 4.47 million… Continue Reading
- Harrah, Oklahoma November 10, 2023 - Harrah, Oklahoma is a small town located in the central part of the state. Situated in Oklahoma County, it is approximately 25 miles east of Oklahoma City. Harrah is a part of the Oklahoma City… Continue Reading
- Hohenwald, Tennessee November 3, 2023 - Hohenwald, Tennessee, is a small town located in Lewis County in the southern part of the state. Nestled in the rolling hills of Middle Tennessee, Hohenwald is known for its scenic beauty and charming rural… Continue Reading
- Dryden, Michigan October 31, 2023 - Located in Lapeer County, Michigan, Dryden is a small village with a rich history and stunning natural beauty. Nestled in the heart of the state's Lower Peninsula, Dryden is surrounded by rolling hills, fertile farmland,… Continue Reading
- Vicksburg, Pennsylvania October 27, 2023 - Vicksburg, Pennsylvania is a small town located in the northeastern part of the state. Situated in the picturesque Cumberland Valley, the town is surrounded by rolling hills, lush greenery, and a tranquil atmosphere. The geography… Continue Reading
- Guatemala City, Guatemala Geography October 23, 2023 - Guatemala City, the capital of Guatemala, is a bustling metropolis located in the country's southern highlands. Its geography is characterized by its location in a mountainous region, the presence of several rivers, and the active… Continue Reading
- West Babylon, New York October 20, 2023 - West Babylon is a thriving suburban community located in the town of Babylon, Suffolk County, New York. Situated on Long Island, it is part of the New York metropolitan area. Known for its beautiful landscapes… Continue Reading
- Turkey City, Pennsylvania October 13, 2023 - Turkey City is a small borough located in Clarion County, Pennsylvania, in the United States. Situated in the northwestern part of the state, it is known for its picturesque landscapes and charming rural surroundings. With… Continue Reading