Continent is a large portion of land surrounded by the ocean (s). Millions of years ago there was only one continent – Pangea. Over the years the portions of land (tectonic plates) have been separating.
From the division of this terrestrial space come the six continents of the world: America, Europe, Africa, Asia, Oceania and Antarctica (or Antarctica).
To learn more about the formation of the continents, read also the articles: Continental Drift and Pangea.
America, in turn, is divided into three: North America, Central America and South America, which are thus called sub-continents.
The extent of Asia is so vast that almost a third of the planet’s land extent is part of that continent that contains 11 time zones.
Asia also stands out in terms of population, where the inhabitants represent almost 50% of the world’s population.
Interestingly, the country with the smallest number of inhabitants in the world is located in Asia. This is Mongolia.
List of all countries in Asia:
In America the North is located the world’s largest island – Greenland, as well as the second largest country in the world – Canada.
In Central America, the Mayan civilization originated – an incredible society that stood out for the advances shown in art, architecture, mathematics, as well as medicine.
In America of the South, in turn, is located in the Amazon Forest, the region with the highest bio diversity of the world.
Africa is the poorest continent in the world. There are six African Portuguese Speaking Countries (PALOP): Angola, Cape Verde, Guinea-Bissau, Equatorial Guinea, Mozambique, São Tomé and Príncipe.
List of all countries in Africa:
Antarctica, or South Pole, is the coldest and driest place on the planet.
Note that the North Pole is not a continent since there is no land portion; it is all covered with ice, while in the South Pole the ice layer corresponds to 90% of its territory.
The fact that it has no countries, as well as the lack of population, means that Antarctica is not considered a continent for some authors.
Europe is the cradle of our culture. On this continent, the European Union (EU) is the largest global economic bloc, of which only 28 European countries (out of a total of 50 countries) are part.
List of all countries in Europe:
According to Countryaah, Australia is the largest country in Oceania, occupying 90% of its entire length. Oceania is known as the “New World”, given its discovery dating from 1770.
List of all countries in Oceania:
There are countries that are located on two continents and that is why they are called “Transcontinental Nations”. This is the case, for example, in Russia (Asia and Europe), Turkey (Asia and Europe), Egypt (Africa and Asia).
There is also a city called the continental bi – Istanbul, Turkey. It is the only city in the world divided between two continents (Asia and Europe).
There are no flags that represent each of the continents. Yes, there is an emblem on which five continents are represented.
These are the Olympic rings, which symbolize the union in sport on the African, American, Asian, European and oceanic continents.
|1st||Asia||45 million km|
|2nd||America||42 million km (North America – 23 million km; Central America – 523 thousand km; South America – 18 million km)|
|3rd||Africa||30 million km|
|4th||Antarctica||14 million km (this number increases about twice in winter, given the freezing waters)|
|5th||Europe||10 million km|
|6th||Oceania||8 million km|
Most Populated Continents
|1st||Asia||4 billion inhabitants|
|2nd||Africa||1.2 billion inhabitants|
|3rd||America||1 billion inhabitants|
|4th||Europe||800 million inhabitants|
|5th||Oceania||32 million inhabitants|
Most Populated Countries and Their Respect Capitals
According to bridgat, Asia has a total of 50 countries, of which the 10 most populous are:
America has a total of 36 countries. Let’s look at the division by the subcontinents:
The North America has four countries:
The Central America has 20 countries, of which the five most populous are:
The South America has 12 countries, of which the five most populous are:
Africa has a total of 54 countries, of which the 10 most populous are:
|Democratic Republic of Congo||Kinshasa||67,510,000|
|South Africa||Pretoria (Executive), Bloemfontein (Judiciary), Cape Town (Legislative)||52,980,000|
Europe has a total of 50 countries, of which the 10 most populous are:
Oceania has a total of 14 countries and more than 10,000 islands. The 5 most populous countries are:
|Papua New Guinea||Port Moresby||7,321,000|
There are no countries in Antarctica. This continent is a World Heritage Site and signatories to the Antarctic Treaty have the right to conduct investigations there.
There are 12 initial countries, a number that has been extended and includes the following nations:
|Bulgaria||United States||New Zealand||Sweden|
Oceans Bathing the Continents
Here are the oceans that bathe each continent:
|Asia||Arctic, Pacific and Indian Glacier|
|America||Pacific, Arctic and Atlantic Glacier|
|Africa||Atlantic and Indian|
|Antarctica||Pacific, Atlantic and Indian|
|Oceania||Pacific and Indian|
- Niger Country Overview January 28, 2022 - According to softwareleverage, Niger is a landlocked country in West Africa. With an area of 1,267,000 km², its extension is comparable to the combined areas of Spain and Turkey. Its northern and central areas are located in the desert… Continue Reading
- New Zealand Country Overview January 27, 2022 - According to shoppingpicks, New Zealand is a country in Oceania that is located in the southwest Pacific Ocean, southeast of Australia. It is made up of two large islands, the North Island and the South Island, along with other smaller… Continue Reading
- New Caledonia Country Overview January 26, 2022 - History The western Pacific Ocean was populated 50,000 years ago. Then the Austronesians came to the area. The various groups of people who settled in the Melanesian archipelagos are known as Lapita. These arrived in New Caledonia… Continue Reading
- Nepal Country Overview January 25, 2022 - Nepal (official name, Nepāl Adhirājya, Kingdom of Nepal). Constitutional Monarchy of South Asia ; It is bordered to the north by the autonomous region of Tibet, in China, and to the east, south and west by India. The 25 of April of 2015 occurs the… Continue Reading
- Nauru History and Politics January 24, 2022 - History The events prior to its colonization at the end of the 19th century are little known due to the lack of written sources and the almost absence of archaeological data. Subsequent events are closely linked to… Continue Reading
- Myanmar Modern History January 23, 2022 - Mongol invasion The Toung dynasty In 1287 the kingdom of Pagan falls under the Tartar or Mongol hordes of Kublai Khan, who invade Burma from the Yunnan region of China. Previously, in 1277 the Burmese had attacked the Mongol vassal state of Kaungai and they… Continue Reading
- Myanmar Early History January 22, 2022 - Burma or Myanmar. Officially Republic of the Union of Myanmar, it is one of the countries of Southeast Asia. It shares its northern borders with China and its eastern borders with Laos and Thailand ; to the west are India, Bangladesh and the Bay of Bengal. The south of the country is bathed by… Continue Reading
- Moscow, Russia History January 21, 2022 - According to pharmacylib, the name of the city Moscow comes from the river that crosses it called Moskva or Moskvá, in old Russian literally, the city of the Moskvá river. The origin of the name… Continue Reading
- Tegucigalpa, Honduras City Overview January 20, 2022 - History According to payhelpcenter, Tegucigalpa was founded by Spanish colonizers as Real de Minas de San Miguel de Tegucigalpa on September 29, 1578 on the site of an existing native settlement of the Pech, Tolupanes, and Twahkas. The… Continue Reading
- Tashkent, Uzbekistan History and Transport January 19, 2022 - History According to oxfordastronomy, Tashkent was probably founded in the 1st century BC, although the first news about the city dates back to the 8th century when it was occupied by the Arabs. After being conquered by Genghis… Continue Reading