Continent is a large portion of land surrounded by the ocean (s). Millions of years ago there was only one continent – Pangea. Over the years the portions of land (tectonic plates) have been separating.
View Articles by Continent
From the division of this terrestrial space come the six continents of the world: America, Europe, Africa, Asia, Oceania and Antarctica (or Antarctica).
To learn more about the formation of the continents, read also the articles: Continental Drift and Pangea.
America, in turn, is divided into three: North America, Central America and South America, which are thus called sub-continents.
The extent of Asia is so vast that almost a third of the planet’s land extent is part of that continent that contains 11 time zones.
Asia also stands out in terms of population, where the inhabitants represent almost 50% of the world’s population.
Interestingly, the country with the smallest number of inhabitants in the world is located in Asia. This is Mongolia.
List of all countries in Asia:
In America the North is located the world’s largest island – Greenland, as well as the second largest country in the world – Canada.
In Central America, the Mayan civilization originated – an incredible society that stood out for the advances shown in art, architecture, mathematics, as well as medicine.
In America of the South, in turn, is located in the Amazon Forest, the region with the highest bio diversity of the world.
List of all countries in America, including North America and South America:
Africa is the poorest continent in the world. There are six African Portuguese Speaking Countries (PALOP): Angola, Cape Verde, Guinea-Bissau, Equatorial Guinea, Mozambique, São Tomé and Príncipe.
List of all countries in Africa:
Antarctica, or South Pole, is the coldest and driest place on the planet.
Note that the North Pole is not a continent since there is no land portion; it is all covered with ice, while in the South Pole the ice layer corresponds to 90% of its territory.
The fact that it has no countries, as well as the lack of population, means that Antarctica is not considered a continent for some authors.
Europe is the cradle of our culture. On this continent, the European Union (EU) is the largest global economic bloc, of which only 28 European countries (out of a total of 50 countries) are part.
List of all countries in Europe:
According to Countryaah, Australia is the largest country in Oceania, occupying 90% of its entire length. Oceania is known as the “New World”, given its discovery dating from 1770.
List of all countries in Oceania:
There are countries that are located on two continents and that is why they are called “Transcontinental Nations”. This is the case, for example, in Russia (Asia and Europe), Turkey (Asia and Europe), Egypt (Africa and Asia).
There is also a city called the continental bi – Istanbul, Turkey. It is the only city in the world divided between two continents (Asia and Europe).
There are no flags that represent each of the continents. Yes, there is an emblem on which five continents are represented.
These are the Olympic rings, which symbolize the union in sport on the African, American, Asian, European and oceanic continents.
|1st||Asia||45 million km|
|2nd||America||42 million km (North America – 23 million km; Central America – 523 thousand km; South America – 18 million km)|
|3rd||Africa||30 million km|
|4th||Antarctica||14 million km (this number increases about twice in winter, given the freezing waters)|
|5th||Europe||10 million km|
|6th||Oceania||8 million km|
Most Populated Continents
|1st||Asia||4 billion inhabitants|
|2nd||Africa||1.2 billion inhabitants|
|3rd||America||1 billion inhabitants|
|4th||Europe||800 million inhabitants|
|5th||Oceania||32 million inhabitants|
Most Populated Countries and Their Respect Capitals
According to bridgat, Asia has a total of 50 countries, of which the 10 most populous are:
America has a total of 36 countries. Let’s look at the division by the subcontinents:
The North America has four countries:
The Central America has 20 countries, of which the five most populous are:
The South America has 12 countries, of which the five most populous are:
Africa has a total of 54 countries, of which the 10 most populous are:
|Democratic Republic of Congo||Kinshasa||67,510,000|
|South Africa||Pretoria (Executive), Bloemfontein (Judiciary), Cape Town (Legislative)||52,980,000|
Europe has a total of 50 countries, of which the 10 most populous are:
Oceania has a total of 14 countries and more than 10,000 islands. The 5 most populous countries are:
|Papua New Guinea||Port Moresby||7,321,000|
There are no countries in Antarctica. This continent is a World Heritage Site and signatories to the Antarctic Treaty have the right to conduct investigations there.
There are 12 initial countries, a number that has been extended and includes the following nations:
|Bulgaria||United States||New Zealand||Sweden|
Oceans Bathing the Continents
Here are the oceans that bathe each continent:
|Asia||Arctic, Pacific and Indian Glacier|
|America||Pacific, Arctic and Atlantic Glacier|
|Africa||Atlantic and Indian|
|Antarctica||Pacific, Atlantic and Indian|
|Oceania||Pacific and Indian|
- Independence, Kansas March 24, 2023 - According to campingship, Independence, Kansas is a small city located in the southeastern part of the state. It sits at an elevation of 1,293 feet above sea level and has a population of about 3,800… Continue Reading
- Turkey Political Systems and Social Conditions March 17, 2023 - The modern Republic of Turkey was founded in 1923, and its independence was declared by the first president, Mustafa Kemal Ataturk. The process of independence began before the official declaration, however. It started with the… Continue Reading
- Huntingtown, Maryland March 12, 2023 - Huntingtown, Maryland is a small town located in the northern part of Calvert County. It has a population of 7,000 people, with a diverse racial and ethnic makeup. The geography of Huntingtown is mostly rural… Continue Reading
- Havre De Grace, Maryland March 11, 2023 - Havre De Grace, Maryland is a small city located in the northern part of the state. It is situated at the mouth of the Susquehanna River and is known for its stunning natural scenery. The… Continue Reading
- Vatican City Religion and Languages February 27, 2023 - Religion Vatican City is the smallest independent state in the world and the seat of the Roman Catholic Church. As such, it is home to a variety of religious beliefs and practices. The predominant faith… Continue Reading
- Almena, Kansas February 24, 2023 - According to fashionissupreme, Almena, Kansas is a tranquil rural town in the northwest corner of the state, located in Norton County. With a population of just under 500, Almena is one of the smaller towns… Continue Reading
- Alma, Kansas February 17, 2023 - According to ezinesports, Alma, Kansas is a small rural town located in Wabaunsee County and situated along the banks of the Big Blue River. With a population of just over 600 people, Alma is a… Continue Reading
- Windhoek, Namibia February 10, 2023 - Windhoek is the capital of Namibia, located almost in the very center of the country at the foot of Mount Eros. From here, most tours around the country begin and end here - after all,… Continue Reading
- Korcula, Croatia February 3, 2023 - Korcula Croats are proud that the great traveler Marco Polo was born in Croatia on the island of Korcula. This is one of the most beautiful islands in Croatia, with centuries-old pine forests and lush… Continue Reading
- Kruger, South Africa December 30, 2022 - Kruger National Park is South Africa's most famous and most profitable national park. Situated on an area of almost 2 million hectares (nothing less, but the whole of Israel could easily fit here), Kruger Park… Continue Reading