Continent is a large portion of land surrounded by the ocean (s). Millions of years ago there was only one continent – Pangea. Over the years the portions of land (tectonic plates) have been separating.
From the division of this terrestrial space come the six continents of the world: America, Europe, Africa, Asia, Oceania and Antarctica (or Antarctica).
To learn more about the formation of the continents, read also the articles: Continental Drift and Pangea.
America, in turn, is divided into three: North America, Central America and South America, which are thus called sub-continents.
The extent of Asia is so vast that almost a third of the planet’s land extent is part of that continent that contains 11 time zones.
Asia also stands out in terms of population, where the inhabitants represent almost 50% of the world’s population.
Interestingly, the country with the smallest number of inhabitants in the world is located in Asia. This is Mongolia.
List of all countries in Asia:
In America the North is located the world’s largest island – Greenland, as well as the second largest country in the world – Canada.
In Central America, the Mayan civilization originated – an incredible society that stood out for the advances shown in art, architecture, mathematics, as well as medicine.
In America of the South, in turn, is located in the Amazon Forest, the region with the highest bio diversity of the world.
Africa is the poorest continent in the world. There are six African Portuguese Speaking Countries (PALOP): Angola, Cape Verde, Guinea-Bissau, Equatorial Guinea, Mozambique, São Tomé and Príncipe.
List of all countries in Africa:
Antarctica, or South Pole, is the coldest and driest place on the planet.
Note that the North Pole is not a continent since there is no land portion; it is all covered with ice, while in the South Pole the ice layer corresponds to 90% of its territory.
The fact that it has no countries, as well as the lack of population, means that Antarctica is not considered a continent for some authors.
Europe is the cradle of our culture. On this continent, the European Union (EU) is the largest global economic bloc, of which only 28 European countries (out of a total of 50 countries) are part.
List of all countries in Europe:
According to Countryaah, Australia is the largest country in Oceania, occupying 90% of its entire length. Oceania is known as the “New World”, given its discovery dating from 1770.
List of all countries in Oceania:
There are countries that are located on two continents and that is why they are called “Transcontinental Nations”. This is the case, for example, in Russia (Asia and Europe), Turkey (Asia and Europe), Egypt (Africa and Asia).
There is also a city called the continental bi – Istanbul, Turkey. It is the only city in the world divided between two continents (Asia and Europe).
There are no flags that represent each of the continents. Yes, there is an emblem on which five continents are represented.
These are the Olympic rings, which symbolize the union in sport on the African, American, Asian, European and oceanic continents.
|1st||Asia||45 million km|
|2nd||America||42 million km (North America – 23 million km; Central America – 523 thousand km; South America – 18 million km)|
|3rd||Africa||30 million km|
|4th||Antarctica||14 million km (this number increases about twice in winter, given the freezing waters)|
|5th||Europe||10 million km|
|6th||Oceania||8 million km|
Most Populated Continents
|1st||Asia||4 billion inhabitants|
|2nd||Africa||1.2 billion inhabitants|
|3rd||America||1 billion inhabitants|
|4th||Europe||800 million inhabitants|
|5th||Oceania||32 million inhabitants|
Most Populated Countries and Their Respect Capitals
According to bridgat, Asia has a total of 50 countries, of which the 10 most populous are:
America has a total of 36 countries. Let’s look at the division by the subcontinents:
The North America has four countries:
The Central America has 20 countries, of which the five most populous are:
The South America has 12 countries, of which the five most populous are:
Africa has a total of 54 countries, of which the 10 most populous are:
|Democratic Republic of Congo||Kinshasa||67,510,000|
|South Africa||Pretoria (Executive), Bloemfontein (Judiciary), Cape Town (Legislative)||52,980,000|
Europe has a total of 50 countries, of which the 10 most populous are:
Oceania has a total of 14 countries and more than 10,000 islands. The 5 most populous countries are:
|Papua New Guinea||Port Moresby||7,321,000|
There are no countries in Antarctica. This continent is a World Heritage Site and signatories to the Antarctic Treaty have the right to conduct investigations there.
There are 12 initial countries, a number that has been extended and includes the following nations:
|Bulgaria||United States||New Zealand||Sweden|
Oceans Bathing the Continents
Here are the oceans that bathe each continent:
|Asia||Arctic, Pacific and Indian Glacier|
|America||Pacific, Arctic and Atlantic Glacier|
|Africa||Atlantic and Indian|
|Antarctica||Pacific, Atlantic and Indian|
|Oceania||Pacific and Indian|
- Slovakia Sightseeing and Economy November 19, 2021 - Sightseeing Slovakia has several characteristics that make it an attractive country from a tourism point of view. It has numerous winter sports centers, historic cities, picturesque castles, caves, unique wooden churches, national parks and other… Continue Reading
- Cyprus Economy and Culture November 12, 2021 - Republic of Cyprus (Greek: Κύπρος, Kýpros, Turkish: Kıbrıs), Eurasian country located on the island of Cyprus. According to educationvv, it is also one of the members of the European Union (EU). This republic is an internationally recognized state, but it only controls two-thirds… Continue Reading
- Seville, Spain November 5, 2021 - According to andyeducation, Seville [se i ʎ a], is a provincial in Southwest Spain, 10 m above the sea level, at Guadalquivir, 87 km before the mouth, (2020) 691,400 residents. Economic, cultural and political… Continue Reading
- Mexico Entry Requirements October 22, 2021 - Passport: is a general requirement for traveling to Mexico. The passport (or the provisional passport) should be valid for another 6 months upon entry, but it must be valid for at least the duration ofStay… Continue Reading
- Chile Entry Requirements October 15, 2021 - Chile - entry requirements Passport: is generally required for traveling in Chile. According to franciscogardening, the passport (or the temporary passport) must be valid for at least 6 months when entering Chile. An identity card… Continue Reading
- Norway Transportation October 8, 2021 - Airplane: a network of domestic flights connects the roughly 50 Norway airports from Kristiansand in the south to Longyearbyen and Ny Alesund (Spitzbergen) in the north. Flights within Norway are offered by Widerøe, Danish Air,… Continue Reading
- Rome, Italy October 5, 2021 - The former center of the Roman Empire and today's capital of Italy lies on the Tiber and has 2.6 million residents. It is the political and cultural center of the country and at the same… Continue Reading
- Luxembourg Overview October 1, 2021 - A small Western European state, Luxembourg has been disputed by neighboring powers since its constitution (10th century). After alternating vicissitudes of annexations and territorial divisions, Luxembourg was established in the Grand Duchy (1815), acquiring full… Continue Reading
- Myanmar Culture September 24, 2021 - CULTURE: TRADITIONS Despite the ethnic diversity of the groups that make up its population, Myanmar retains an almost intact folklore characterized by a certain unity, given by Buddhist spirituality. In worldly life, one of the… Continue Reading
- Information about Seychelles September 23, 2021 - With one paradise island after another, the Seychelles is the closest you can get to a holiday on a pristine tropical island. Here you can enjoy some of the world's best, most beautiful and most… Continue Reading