Continent is a large portion of land surrounded by the ocean (s). Millions of years ago there was only one continent – Pangea. Over the years the portions of land (tectonic plates) have been separating.
View Articles by Continent
From the division of this terrestrial space come the six continents of the world: America, Europe, Africa, Asia, Oceania and Antarctica (or Antarctica).
To learn more about the formation of the continents, read also the articles: Continental Drift and Pangea.
America, in turn, is divided into three: North America, Central America and South America, which are thus called sub-continents.
The extent of Asia is so vast that almost a third of the planet’s land extent is part of that continent that contains 11 time zones.
Asia also stands out in terms of population, where the inhabitants represent almost 50% of the world’s population.
Interestingly, the country with the smallest number of inhabitants in the world is located in Asia. This is Mongolia.
List of all countries in Asia:
In America the North is located the world’s largest island – Greenland, as well as the second largest country in the world – Canada.
In Central America, the Mayan civilization originated – an incredible society that stood out for the advances shown in art, architecture, mathematics, as well as medicine.
In America of the South, in turn, is located in the Amazon Forest, the region with the highest bio diversity of the world.
Africa is the poorest continent in the world. There are six African Portuguese Speaking Countries (PALOP): Angola, Cape Verde, Guinea-Bissau, Equatorial Guinea, Mozambique, São Tomé and Príncipe.
List of all countries in Africa:
Antarctica, or South Pole, is the coldest and driest place on the planet.
Note that the North Pole is not a continent since there is no land portion; it is all covered with ice, while in the South Pole the ice layer corresponds to 90% of its territory.
The fact that it has no countries, as well as the lack of population, means that Antarctica is not considered a continent for some authors.
Europe is the cradle of our culture. On this continent, the European Union (EU) is the largest global economic bloc, of which only 28 European countries (out of a total of 50 countries) are part.
List of all countries in Europe:
According to Countryaah, Australia is the largest country in Oceania, occupying 90% of its entire length. Oceania is known as the “New World”, given its discovery dating from 1770.
List of all countries in Oceania:
There are countries that are located on two continents and that is why they are called “Transcontinental Nations”. This is the case, for example, in Russia (Asia and Europe), Turkey (Asia and Europe), Egypt (Africa and Asia).
There is also a city called the continental bi – Istanbul, Turkey. It is the only city in the world divided between two continents (Asia and Europe).
There are no flags that represent each of the continents. Yes, there is an emblem on which five continents are represented.
These are the Olympic rings, which symbolize the union in sport on the African, American, Asian, European and oceanic continents.
|1st||Asia||45 million km|
|2nd||America||42 million km (North America – 23 million km; Central America – 523 thousand km; South America – 18 million km)|
|3rd||Africa||30 million km|
|4th||Antarctica||14 million km (this number increases about twice in winter, given the freezing waters)|
|5th||Europe||10 million km|
|6th||Oceania||8 million km|
Most Populated Continents
|1st||Asia||4 billion inhabitants|
|2nd||Africa||1.2 billion inhabitants|
|3rd||America||1 billion inhabitants|
|4th||Europe||800 million inhabitants|
|5th||Oceania||32 million inhabitants|
Most Populated Countries and Their Respect Capitals
According to bridgat, Asia has a total of 50 countries, of which the 10 most populous are:
America has a total of 36 countries. Let’s look at the division by the subcontinents:
The North America has four countries:
The Central America has 20 countries, of which the five most populous are:
The South America has 12 countries, of which the five most populous are:
Africa has a total of 54 countries, of which the 10 most populous are:
|Democratic Republic of Congo||Kinshasa||67,510,000|
|South Africa||Pretoria (Executive), Bloemfontein (Judiciary), Cape Town (Legislative)||52,980,000|
Europe has a total of 50 countries, of which the 10 most populous are:
Oceania has a total of 14 countries and more than 10,000 islands. The 5 most populous countries are:
|Papua New Guinea||Port Moresby||7,321,000|
There are no countries in Antarctica. This continent is a World Heritage Site and signatories to the Antarctic Treaty have the right to conduct investigations there.
There are 12 initial countries, a number that has been extended and includes the following nations:
|Bulgaria||United States||New Zealand||Sweden|
Oceans Bathing the Continents
Here are the oceans that bathe each continent:
|Asia||Arctic, Pacific and Indian Glacier|
|America||Pacific, Arctic and Atlantic Glacier|
|Africa||Atlantic and Indian|
|Antarctica||Pacific, Atlantic and Indian|
|Oceania||Pacific and Indian|
- East America December 1, 2022 - Bustling metropolises such as New York City, Chicago, Philadelphia and Washington DC, but also the world-famous waterfalls of Niagara Falls and the particularly charming Lancaster County and the lakes around Michigan and Chicago. A holiday… Continue Reading
- Shopping and Eating in Faro, Portugal November 25, 2022 - Faro Shopping There are many shops in the Algarve capital. There are large shopping centers and small shops with products of local craftsmen. One of the largest and most beautiful shopping centers not only in… Continue Reading
- Shopping and Eating in Cartagena, Colombia November 18, 2022 - Beaches The main beach of "mainland" Cartagena is Bocagrande. There is a wide sandy coast, a fairly smooth descent into the water and everything you need for a comfortable beach holiday: umbrellas, sun loungers and… Continue Reading
- Attractions in Brussels, Belgium November 11, 2022 - According to aparentingblog, Brussels is the capital of Belgium and is also often seen as the capital of Europe. Brussels owes this role to the fact that it is the administrative center of the European… Continue Reading
- Landmarks of La Palma, Spain November 4, 2022 - According to animalerts, La Palma is one of the Canary Islands. Unlike most other islands, La Palma is not an island full of mass tourism, but a place where people come for peace and nature.… Continue Reading
- US 90 in Louisiana October 30, 2022 - US 90 Get started toomey End Pearlington Length 306 mi Length 492 km Route Texas Vinton Sulfur Lake Charles Iowa Jennings Crowley Rayne Lafayette New Iberia freeway Baldwin Franklin frontage road Centerville calumet Patterson… Continue Reading
- US 53 and 59 in Minnesota October 29, 2022 - US 53 in Minnesota US 53 Begin Duluth End International Falls Length 165 mi Length 265 km Route Wisconsin Duluth Virginia International Falls According to Existingcountries, US 53 is a US Highway in the US… Continue Reading
- Kansas History October 28, 2022 - First Exploration under France and Spain (1541–1803) The first European to visit Kansas was the Spanish explorer Francisco Vásquez de Coronado in 1541. Kansas was then inhabited by Native Americans. The Coronado left Compostela in… Continue Reading
- State Route 92 in Nebraska October 27, 2022 - SR-92 Get started Lyman End omaha Length 489 mi Length 787 km Route Wyoming Lyman Scottsbluff Bridgeport Broadwater lisco Oshkosh lewellen Lemoyne Arthur Tryon Stapleton Arnold Merna Broken Bow Ansley Loup City Ashton farwell… Continue Reading
- State Route 423 in New Mexico October 26, 2022 - SR-423 Get started Albuquerque End Albuquerque Length 17 mi Length 27 km Route Golf Course Road Richland Hills Drive Eagle Ranch Road Coors Boulevard Rio Grande 2nd Street Jefferson Street → Santa Fe /… Continue Reading